AVB autopsy

Hmmm. Usually it's me emailing or texting Liverpool supporters (Donellan, I'm looking at you here) to act smug about a result between Spurs and the 'pool. Not this time. 5-0 at White Hart Lane was too much for Daniel Levy so he's gone and planted one in Andre Villas-Boas's suited rear end. I'm still not sure about this decision. Part of me thinks sacking the guy who oversaw a record points haul of 72 last season seems a bit knee-jerk. He hadn't become a worse manager in the close season, but circumstances conspired against him (no Bale, too many new players untried in the Premier League, no Bale, injuries at bad times, no Bale, etc).

Last season I seem to remember a few games where his decisions (substitutions, tactical changes) actually made the difference. But this term, he appears to have been unable to budge tactically - except for the Man United game (2-2) where he tightened things up a bit - even going so far as to play the 'high line' against Suarez Inc. The same failed system that saw Spurs ship 6 goals at Man City a few weeks before. Why so intransigent? Stubbornness? Immaturity (as Sam Allardyce and Lord Alan Knob-end Sugar have suggested)? I'm not sure but perhaps it was a simple lack of experience. Maybe he wasn't all that good. Is this too simple a conclusion? He certainly came across as a clever, sincere bloke (unlike his 'mentor' Jose Mourinho, who presents to the world as nothing short of a proper cunt). But these qualities don't equate to success as a football manager and maybe, lacking someone like Bale to get the team out of trouble, he had nothing left in the chamber.

Spurs fans historically need the team to play attractive football, maybe even at the expense of results (?). The AVB model wasn't really doing this (again, mainly down to a huge jug-eared shape hole) and some 'expressive' results signaled the end. I'm a little sorry to see him go but mostly because I liked him as a person. I have to be honest and accept the much vaunted win percentage record (around 55%) would have been much lower without Mr. Bale and the team this term were playing some pretty abject stuff.

So who next? It appears to be anyone from Tim Sherwood (who is now in charge as interim manager) to Glenn Hoddle or Fabio Capello, to Michael Laudrup or Mauricio Pochettino. Maybe even Guus Hiddink or Jurgen Klinsmann. So my tuppence worth - It won't be Capello or Klinsmann, at least not now, not until the World Cup is over in July. Probably not Hiddink either, who has accepted a job with the Dutch national team. Pochettino and Laudrup are too similar to AVB (youngish and not British). I guess that leaves Hoddle and Sherwood and I'm not sure they'll go for a return to Hoddle, who last managed Spurs in 2003. So it may be Sherwood fulltime but I can't see that working. I hope I can eat my words and Spurs finish in the top four this season. I'm not holding my breath though.

Personally, I'd sit Sherwood in there until the World Cup finishes and then chuck a lorry load of cash at Cesare Prandelli (Italy's manager). He's class and, at around 200/1 on Betfair, a good price;) In fact, I think I'll try to start the Prandelli to Spurs campaign. Hmmm. I'm off to bed now.

Comments